Reporting an Environmental Health Complaint

An Environmental Health Specialist will investigate many different types of complaints dealing with environmental health programs. Some complaints reported to Southwest District Health may include; failed septic systems, open sewage, abundant trash, restaurant conditions, food or waterborne illness, animal bites and rabies investigations

How do we handle complaints?

All the information you provide in your e-mail will be forwarded to an environmental health specialist.  If the complaint is dealing with septic, open sewage, trash, or cleanliness at a food establishment the environmental health specialist will have three business days to begin to investigate the complaint.  You will be notified by e-mail or by phone (if requested) of the complaint results.

Anonymous complaints may not be investigated.

If a complaint is dealing with an animal bite or foodborne illness, and environmental health specialist will contact you by e-mail or phone within one business day (Monday – Friday) to collect more information. You will be notified by e-mail or by phone (if requested) of the complaint results. Due to the additional need to gather information, these types of anonymous complaints will not be investigated.

The identity of persons filing a complaint are kept confidential from the public during an investigation.

Report a complaint by e-mail, or contact our office at (208) 455-5400.

Southwest District Health will only accept complaints with the following information.

  1. The complaint includes the complainant’s name, postal address and contact information e-mail and/or phone number
  2. The complaint provides the business name (if necessary), address or a detailed description of the location in question.
  3. The date that the offense was observed or the complaint occurred
  4. A detailed description of the complaint being reported.

Report a complaint here:

Landlord Tenant Issues and Housing Laws may contact Idaho Legal Aid. The Caldwell Office of Idaho Legal Aid services serves clients in Adams, Canyon, Gem, Owyhee, Payette, and Washington Counties.

Animal Bites may also be reported to animal control within the county you reside.