Southwest District Health continues COVID-19 vaccine distribution effort; Moderna vaccine received
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
CALDWELL, IDAHO – Southwest District Health staff continue to coordinate the distribution of the COVID-19 vaccine. The first shipment of the EUA-approved Moderna mRNA vaccine was received by the District on Wednesday, December 23, 2020, for a total of 2,900 doses. Last week, Southwest District Health staff successfully distributed the initial round of approximately 1,950 doses of Pfizer vaccine received.
Currently, the COVID-19 vaccines are only available for individuals indicated in Tier 1 as set out in Idaho’s vaccine rollout plan. Those who are currently in the qualifying Tier 1 group are as follows:
- Healthcare personnel, that includes hospital staff essential for care of COVID-19 patients and maintaining hospital capacity (includes support staff as well as clinical staff)
- Outpatient clinic staff essential for care of COVID-19 patients and maintaining hospital capacity
- Long-term care facility staff and residents
- Home care providers for adults 65 years of age and older or for other adults or children with high-risk medical conditions
- Emergency Medical Services (EMS)
- Outpatient and inpatient medical staff not already included above who are unable to telework
- Dentists, dental hygienists and dental assistants
- Pharmacists, pharmacy technicians and pharmacy aides
- Public health and emergency management response workers who are unable to telework
Individuals who fall within the above referenced qualifying Tier 1 group are advised to reach out to their employer to inquire about vaccine availability. If employers are unable to answer questions regarding vaccine availability, the Southwest District Health COVID-19 Call Center is available to field questions Monday through Friday, 8:00 AM-5:00 PM (with the exception of observed holidays) 208-455-5411.
COVID-19 vaccinations are not available at this time for the general public. After Tier 1 individuals have been offered the vaccine, Southwest District Health will begin providing vaccine to Tier 2 following Idaho’s COVID-19 Vaccine Advisory Committee’s (CVAC) recommendations that have been approved by Governor Little. Members of the general public seeking COVID-19 vaccinations can watch for updates from Southwest District Health for information about when and where vaccines will be available.
It is important to note that there are no governmental entities in Idaho requiring anyone to receive the COVID-19 vaccine. While public health supports the COVID-19 vaccine, individuals can choose whether or not to pursue the vaccine as a protection measure.
Healthcare providers, including dental and pharmacy professionals who fit within the Tier 1 priority group interested in the COVID-19 vaccine, are invited to reach out to SWDH staff by e-mailing COVIDvaccine@phd3.idaho.gov or calling 208-593-1412.
For more information on the COVID-19 vaccine, including a Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) section, please visit: https://coronavirus.idaho.gov/covid-19-vaccine/
# # #